Happy Friday everyone!
You made it, and guess what?! It’s Super Bowl weekend!
I’ll be watching the game with my family and the dogs (Brady LOVES watching Tom Brady play. Just kidding, he mostly sleeps.) I’m excited for some yummy eats, funny commercials, and hopefully a good game.
Poor Tom. I hope he finds someone to high-five on Sunday.
I’ve recently started doing TONS of indoor workouts, from Fitnessblender videos on Youtube to different workouts on Gigabody, and yesterday, I did a strength workout from the Runners’ World website that’s supposed to ward off runner’s knee issues (and holy crap, was that tough!).
I didn’t always enjoy these types of workouts though. More like, I hated them. My first experience with workout videos came when I was probably 12 or 13 and I attempted a pilates workout DVD that we had laying around. It was only 25 minutes long, so I figured it couldn’t be too bad. Haha, famous last words…
It took me a long time to realize it’s not about completing every single exercise perfectly for every single rep – it’s about trying, and coming back to that workout regularly enough that you actually give yourself time to improve. (After the first time I did that pilates video, I don’t think I tried it again till college). It’s about knowing your limits, so you don’t injure yourself – but also pushing yourself.
So what would be my favorites of these videos? Well here are a few videos that I have done many times and really enjoy:
1. Fitnessblender Tank Top Arms (at just around 10 minutes, this video is a cinch to squeeze in on a busy day, but it packs a punch! I’ve been doing this video since the end of the summer, and I finally feel like I have toned, strong arms.)
2. Fitnessblender’s Total Body Barre Workout. I’ve heard such positive things about pure barre workouts and really wanted to give it a try for myself, so I was really excited to discover fitnessblender had made a video featuring their exercise techniques. It’s another great workout that will leave your thighs and butt burning.
3. Fitnessblender’s 10 minute Abs. Yep, it’s another quick one. But if you’re starting out and are kind of intimidated by the idea of an hour long core workout (the way I was), then this is a great way to start!
4. Gigabody’s video, Anni’s Force Fitness Cardio Kickboxing. Another great workout though you will need a bit more space for all the jumping around, kicking and punching in this one! Be careful not to smack any family members. 😉
5. And finally, the Runners’ World Iron Strength workout. I’m not sure if I should call this one of my “favorites”, (especially when I’m not entirely sure I’ll be able to walk today or tomorrow), but it is definitely a challenge. And it’s one that I’m going to force myself to keep coming back to, because I would really LOVE to strengthen my quads, hamstrings, and glutes so that I can banish this runner’s knee issue once and for all (because frankly, it sucks and I want to run again). Though, I freely admit that there were times when I was cursing Dr. Metzl and calling him Dr. Evil as he walked through the exercises. But I find a little aggression is good for workouts. 😉
What are your favorite indoor workouts? Do you enjoy workout videos?